FOX has initiated a voluntary recall of certain models of the 2013 32 and 34 Evolution Series forks manufactured between March 1st 2012 and November 30th 2012. You should stop using the recalled product immediately unless otherwise instructed.
Name of Product: Specified FOX Model year 2013, 32 and 34 Evolution Series Forks having 120-160mm of travel.
Units: about 40,000 units total worldwide, of which about 12,500 were sold in the U.S. and Canada.
Manufacturer: Fox Factory of Scotts Valley, CA
Hazard: The fork damper cylinder / piston assembly in some of these units may separate and allow the fork to over-extend under certain circumstances, possibly causing the front wheel to detach from the bicycle while in use, creating a fall hazard.
Incidents/Injuries: FOX has received 1 report of an incident in which a broken damper may have caused the fork to over-extend and allow the front wheel to detach.
Description: The recall involves certain Model Year 2013 32 and 34 Evolution Series bicycle forks with 120mm-160mm of travel with an open cartridge damper. Follow the steps in the instructions below to identify if you have an affected fork.
Sold: As original equipment on 2013 model year Specialized, Trek, Scott, Kona, Cannondale and various other brand bicycles and as aftermarket equipment.
Manufactured In: The forks affected by this recall were assembled in Fox’s Watsonville, CA facility.
Remedy: If you suspect that your fork may be within this recall then you should stop using their fork immediately until a final determination is made as to whether your fork is affected. To make that determination, you should follow the directions below to locate the ID Code and Serial Number, and with that information use the recall web page or call FreeFlow Bikes on 0141 630 0021 to receive a determination of whether your fork is within the recall. If the fork is within the recall range, the you should cease using the fork immediately and contact FreeFlow Bikes who will deal with the warranty process for you. You will receive a free upgrade damper for the recalled fork, to be installed by Fox or by ourselves. If the fork is not within the recall range, you may continue using the fork.
IDENTIFYING YOUR 2013 EVOLUTION SERIES FORK
Do You Have an Evolution Series Fork?
• Evolution Series appears on the largest left and right decals.
Other Distinguishing Characteristics
• Fork Colors: Black, White or Green
• Remote or non-remote
• Travel: 120mm-160mm
• Decal Colors: Black & White with Silver, Grey, and custom PMS colour combinations that are coordinated with the bike’s colour scheme.
What to Do
• Locate the fork’s ID code on the backside of its left lower leg
• Enter the ID code in the interactive form
• You will then be guided through the upgrade process step-by-step
• The next step, if your fork is identified as possibly needing an upgrade, will be to locate the serial number stamped on the underside of the crown. You will need to remove your front wheel to get this information. You may also need to clean this area depending on your bike’s use. If it’s a remote fork, you’ll need to remove the cable hanger to see the entire serial number. Please also note that the numbers 0, 3, and, 8 can look very similar.
If you can confirm that your Evolution Forks are subject to this recall, please contact us on 0141 630 0021 for instructions to arrange a free repair.
Should you have any concerns or would like more information on the voluntary recall, then please give us a call on 0141 630 0021